Fire safety for children is extremely important, especially for children under the age of 12. It is important for parents to help educate their kids about fire so as to prevent any mishaps from happening.
Here are some of the statistics about fire accidents by children:
- Fires are the leading cause of death in the home for children under 5 years old.
- The NFPA(National Fire Prevention Association) reports that of all those young children who died in home fires last year, fully one third set the fires that killed them.
- Children under 12 set almost half of all structural fires.
Children between the age of 3 – 7 are usually very curious about fire and wants to learn more about them. It is also between this age that children are extremely hyperactive and has the tenancy to oppose instructions by the adults, thus, as such, it is important to educate children about fire safety before it is too late.
Here is what, you as a parent can do:
- Never leave any candles or stove unattended
- Never allow any unsafe practices of using lighters in front of children
- Keep all lighters and match sticks away from children’s reach
- Educate children that fire is not a toy
- It is used for cooking and only adults can use fire
- Let them know that fire, even small ones can spread and burn quickly,
- Fire is dangerous and can kill
Apart from educating children about fire safety, it is also an advantage if you can install and maintain smoke detectors at home. This is to prevent any accidents from happening.
Apart from smoke detectors, home water sprinklers or even owning a fire extinguisher at home also helps to deal with emergency cases when needed. As the saying goes… it is always better to be safe than sorry.
When it comes to fire.. it can strike anytime, anywhere.. and if you have kids at home.. it increases the chance of fire accidents.. thus, comes the need on fire safety for children.