Apart from educating children about fire safety, it is also very important that you teach them how to react and what to do in the event of an fire. In other words, fire safety for children won’t be complete without a family fire evacuation plan.
Well, by now, you should know that prevention is better than cure.. and while we can’t 100% guarantee what will happen in the future, it is always good to be prepared for the worse.. so that when time calls, you and your family knows what to do.
In this case, fire spreads very fast… and time is of a concern… by having a fire evacuation plan for the family, your kids and loved ones will know what to do in the event of a fire.. and won’t anyhow run.. thus.. making the head count a lot easier and ensuring the safety of all family members.
Here are some tips when planning a family fire evacuation plan:
- Have a gathering point for the family in the event of fire
- This gathering point should be near the doorway
- Teach and let your children know about the gathering point
- Practice the fire evacuation drill with the whole family
- Make sure everybody knows about it and time the process
- Make it a point to practice the drill every 6 months to ensure everyone knows what to do when the drill is activated.
- Set a fixed timing for the drill, ie, 1 minute, depending on the size of the house
- In addition to the fire evacuation plan for the kids, the adults should also have a set of duties, ie: mum will bring the children outside and dad will use extinguisher to extinguish the fire before it spread.
When you have a set of plan laid out, everything will flow much smoother in terms of an emergency and because it is practice over and over again, panic will be reduce and everyone, especially the kids, will know what to do in the event of fire.
With a proper plan laid down for the family, evacuation can be faster, thus, ensuring a very much higher chance of an injury free fire disaster.
Remember, fire safety for kids should be instilled and reminded to the children, and apart from the normal stories, reminders and safe practices, a fire evacuation will then complete the plan on fire safety for children.